Church of the Holy Trinity (1298/1303)

In the first years of Burgundio di Tado’s tenure as head of the Opera del Duomo (ca. 1298-1319), the ecclesia campi sancti, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is brought to completion; it is a one-nave hall, furnished with an altar, and decorated with statues and paintings. The new sanctuary, located at the southeast corner of the cemetery, is accessible from the piazza through a now-closed door in the fourth bay of the south wall. The cemetery itself consists of an open field surrounded by walls.