Chapel project for Filippo de’ Medici (1475)

Following the last will of Archbishop Filippo de’ Medici (1461-74), the building of a chapel dedicated to the Holy Cross (Cappella della Croce) is started in 1475. The sanctuary is located in the center of the east gallery, on the site of the current Cappella del Pozzo. Due to the difficult political situation in the period following Filippo de’ Medici’s death, the chapel remains unfinished.