Start of the fresco decoration: Buonamico Buffalmacco and Francesco Traini (c. 1336)

In spring 1336, the Florentine painter Buonamico Buffalmacco resides at the Cappella of Santa Maria Maggiore, a place that the Opera uses as accommodation for the artists they have hired. By around 1342, Buffalmacco has painted the Triumph of Death, the Last Judgment and the Thebaid on the eastern part of the south gallery, and the Resurrection, Doubting Thomas and the Ascension of Christ in the eastern gallery. Shortly before Buffalmacco’s arrival, the Pisan painter Francesco Traini completes the Crucifixion at the southeast corner of the Camposanto.