Strappo and restoration of the Camposanto murals (1947-1955)

After the end of the war, all of the murals in the cemetery are detached from the walls and transferred onto a new support made of a cement mixture called Eternit. The procedure is repeated for the preparatory drawings (sinopie). From 1960 onwards, the restored Buffalmacco paintings from the south gallery are exhibited in a separate hall attached to the Camposanto. Since 1979, some of the sinopie have been exhibited in the new Museo delle Sinopie.